Monument record BRD 159 - 'Old Warren House Yard'
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||TL 7706 8568 (point)|
|Civil Parish||BRANDON, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
|District||FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
'Old Warren House Yard', possible site of original medieval warren house, mentioned as an exchange between J.R. Burch and Geo Wilson (Lord of the Manor and owner of the warren), on Brandon Inclosure 1801-1810 (S1). The land in question is a 2a 2r 2p sub oral with internal rectilinear banks (S2). Plan in parish file.
Gone by 1884, now partially built over adjoining Breckland County Middle School. The area is outlined on the map in green suggesting a boundary division between the lands of J. R. Burch Esq, on the west and Geo Wilson Esq on the east. The former possibly indicating the original Saxon settlement which, at Domesday, extended to 5 carvcates, a church and 2 fisheries held by St Edmunds, then the Bishop of Ely (until the Reformation).
2017: Archival research revealed that The Bury and Norwich Post in 1806 made reference to poachers near Brandon being "more numerous than ever before known; scarcely a night passing without many rabbits being stolen by dogs and other means; a few nights since one of the lodges on Brandon warren was broken open, and upwards of 11 dozen of rabbits, a gun and other articles taken away" (S4).
- <S1> SSF50470 Cartographic materials: Enclosure Map. Brandon Enclosure Map and award, 1801-1810, SRO (Bury), 3/10/29.6, Abstract (B) folio 21.
- <S2> SSF50470 Cartographic materials: Enclosure Map. Brandon Enclosure, 1810, SRO (Bury), EC 597/4/1.
- <S3> SSF50470 Cartographic materials: Enclosure Map. Brandon Enclosure map and award, 1809, SRO (Bury), Q/R18.
- <S4> SSF58551 Unpublished document: The Breckland Society. 2017. The Internal Archaeology of the Breckland Warrens. p.26.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jun 26 2020 4:11PM