Farmstead record HGH 044 - Farmstead: Bridge Farm
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 0116 6205 (42m by 53m)|
|Civil Parish||HAUGHLEY, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
The barn is an unusual timber-framed structure of 2 different phases. The two eastern bays date to the mid-17th C and retain their original arch braces and clasped-purlin roof, which is steeply pitched for thatch but is now covered in 19th C pantiles. A good thrashing floor of gault brick remains in the entrance bay, along with large areas of wattle and daub as well as early external render. The 2 western bays date to the 19th C and occupy a slightly different alignment to the eastern bays. They lie beneath a low roof, designed for its present pantiles, and may have replaced an older stable on the site.
Both sections of the barn re-use timbers from earlier medieval buildings, including soot encrusted studs and evidence of diamond mullion windows (possibly deriving from the farmhouse).
Given extensive alterations (I.E. loss of thatch and original western end) it likely does not reach English Heritage criteria for listing, though does possess undoubted historic interest (S1).
Bridge Farm, Henley. 17th century farmstead and 16th century farmhouse with converted buildings. Regular courtyard full plan formed by working agricultural buildings. The farmhouse is detached facing side on to the yard. Partial loss (less than 50%) of the traditional farm buildings and the farmhouse. Located within a hamlet (S2-7).
Recorded as part of the Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project. This is a purely desk-based study and no site visits were undertaken. These records are not intended to be a definitive assessment of these buildings. Dating reflects their presence at a point in time on historic maps and there is potential for earlier origins to buildings and farmsteads. This project highlights a potential need for a more in depth field study of farmstead to gather more specific age data.
- <S1> SSF50633 Unpublished document: Alston, L.. 2010. Historic Building Record: The Barn, Bridge Farm, Haughley New Street, Haughley, Suffolk.
- <S2> SSF59079 Unpublished document: Campbell, G., and McSorley, G. 2019. SCCAS: Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project.
- <S3> SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition.
- <S4> SXS50094 Map: Ordnance Survey. c 1904. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 2nd edition. 25".
- <S5> SSZ54999 Vertical Aerial Photograph: various. Google Earth.
- <S6> SXS50102 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1949. Ordnance Survey 6 inch to 1, mile, 3rd edition. 1:10,560.
- <S7> SSF59792 Map: 1844. Haughley Tithe Map.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Sep 28 2020 3:48PM