Farmstead record THS 017 - Farmstead: Thedwastre White House
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 9215 6494 (94m by 95m)|
|Civil Parish||THURSTON, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (6)
Farmhouse is a heavily disguised 16th C, Grade II timber-framed structure, linked to a 2 19th C, flint rubble, agricultural buildings (both much altered)
Open sided shelter-shed: re-built as a new stable in the 20th C, but contains fragments of the 18th C timber-framed structure of similar proportions.
Stable: preserves evidence of hay rack with ceiling aperture to hay loft above. This building has no historical significance.
Thedwastre White House (Thedwastre Hill Farm), Thurston. 19th century farmstead and 16th century farmhouse with converted buildings. Regular courtyard full plan formed by working agricultural buildings, with additional detached elements. The farmhouse is set away from the yard. Significant loss (over 50%) of the traditional farm buildings. Located within a hamlet (S1-6).
Recorded as part of the Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project. This is a purely desk-based study and no site visits were undertaken. These records are not intended to be a definitive assessment of these buildings. Dating reflects their presence at a point in time on historic maps and there is potential for earlier origins to buildings and farmsteads. This project highlights a potential need for a more in depth field study of farmstead to gather more specific age data.
- <S1> SSF50653 Unpublished document: Alston, L.. 2008. Archaeological Record: Farm buildings at Thedwastre White House, Thurston, Suffolk.
- <S2> SSF59079 Unpublished document: Campbell, G., and McSorley, G. 2019. SCCAS: Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project.
- <S3> SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition.
- <S4> SXS50094 Map: Ordnance Survey. c 1904. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 2nd edition. 25".
- <S5> SSZ54999 Vertical Aerial Photograph: various. Google Earth.
- <S6> SXS50102 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1949. Ordnance Survey 6 inch to 1, mile, 3rd edition. 1:10,560.
- <S7> SSF60016 Map: 1839. Thurston Tithe Map.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Apr 29 2021 10:50AM