Farmstead record WKB 039 - Farmstead: Brookhouse Farm
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 7573 5415 (103m by 114m)|
|Civil Parish||WICKHAMBROOK, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
Brookhouse Farm is a farmstead visible on the 1st Ed Os map. The farmstead is laid out in a dispersed plan and sits alongside a public road in a hamlet location. There has been a significant loss of working buildings with the remaining converted for residential use. (S3-6)
Manor House Barn dates to the 18th C with 19th C additions. It is timber-framed and listed at grade II and originally consisted of 3 bays. Although some timbers have been damaged by water entry, the structure remains unusually complete with exception of the reconstruction of the rear porch and insertion of a pitching door high in the S-W gable.
Graffiti showing the initials TL - likely the initials of the carpenter who completed the barn in 1753. Whilst most of the timbers were new, some have been re-used from a number of mullioned windows that would have originally come from a house of some status.
19th C outbuildings on site re-use timbers from previous buildings.
Recorded as part of the Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project. This is a purely desk-based study and no site visits were undertaken. These records are not intended to be a definitive assessment of these buildings. Dating reflects their presence at a point in time on historic maps and there is potential for earlier origins to buildings and farmsteads. This project highlights a potential need for a more in depth field study of farmstead to gather more specific age data.
- <1> SSF50730 Unpublished document: Henry, K; Smith, L.. 2010. Barn at Manor House, Wickham Street, Wickhambrook, Suffolk; Archaeological Record.
- <2> SSF54527 Unpublished document: Aitkens, P.. 2007. A report on the architectural history of a barn at Manor House, Wickham Street, Wickhambrook.
- <3> SSZ54999 Vertical Aerial Photograph: various. Google Earth.
- <4> SXS50094 Map: Ordnance Survey. c 1904. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 2nd edition. 25".
- <5> SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition.
- <6> SSF59079 Unpublished document: Campbell, G., and McSorley, G. 2019. SCCAS: Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
May 2 2020 7:38AM