Monument record BSE 246 - The Old Maltings Site, Thingoe Hill,Bury St Edmunds
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 8511 6526 (38m by 25m)|
|Civil Parish||BURY ST EDMUNDS, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
An excavation was conducted ahead of development on the site of the former maltings.The site was heavily disturbed and terraced by the construction of the former maltings and the railway in the 19th century along with earlier post-medieval quarry pits. A small area of relatively undisturbed archaeology was excavated along the western edge of the site. Several pits and a probable ditch were identified and were post-medieval in date and therefore likely to be associated with the maltings. No medieval features were identified although residual medieval finds were recovered (S1).
- <S1> SSF53507 Unpublished document: Duffy, J.. 2008. Archaeological Excavation Report, The Old Maltings SIte, Thingoe Hill, Bury St Edmunds, BSE 246.
- FSF34647: POTTERY (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- FSF48006: POTTERY (12th century to 14th century - 1100 AD to 1399 AD)
- FSF48007: TILE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- FSF48008: TILE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FSF48009: BRICK (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- FSF48010: CLAY PIPE (SMOKING) (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- FSF48011: BOTTLE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- FSF48012: NAIL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- FSF48013: BUCKLE (15th century to 16th century - 1400 AD to 1599 AD)
- FSF48014: BUTTON (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- FSF48015: ANIMAL REMAINS (Unknown date)
- FSF48016: OYSTER SHELL (Unknown date)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Aug 17 2018 10:42AM