Monument record BSE 248 - 64 Southgate Street, Bury St Edmunds,
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 8613 6340 (37m by 33m)|
|Civil Parish||BURY ST EDMUNDS, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
2005: Evaluation trenching carried out prior to the construction of two houses at land to the rear of 64 Southgate Street revealed evidence for widespread disturbance of the ground in the medieval period thought to be associated with stone quarrying for building construction. The disturbance was cut by shallow pits dating from the 12th to 14th centuries. There was no evidence for settlement to the east of the site fronting onto the footpath alongside the Rugby Club. A medieval cesspit is thought to relate to buildings which fronted onto Southgate Street (S1).
2006: Monitoring of footing trenches for one of two houses revealed evidence of medieval gravel/flint and sand extraction. A substantial layer of re-deposited sand and soil was revealed and interpreted as waste following the removal of gravel at the north end of the site (S2).
- FSF34648: POTTERY (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FSF47996: ANIMAL REMAINS (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FSF47997: POTTERY (Early Neolithic to Early Saxon - 4000 BC? to 649 AD?)
- FSF47998: POTTERY (17th century to 19th century - 1600 AD to 1899 AD)
- FSF47999: TILE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- FSF48000: BRICK (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- FSF48001: FIRED CLAY (Unknown date)
- FSF48002: CLAY PIPE (SMOKING) (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- FSF48003: OYSTER SHELL (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FSF48004: FLAKE (Later Prehistoric - 4000 BC to 42 AD)
- FSF48005: SLAG (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Aug 16 2018 4:33PM