Building record HVH 074 - Ironworks site, Hamlet Road, Haverhill
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 6777 4491 (104m by 45m)|
|Civil Parish||HAVERHILL, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (5)
- IRON WORKS (19th century to 20th century - 1800 AD to 1999 AD)
- SILK MILL (19th century to 20th century - 1800 AD to 1999 AD)
- WORKSHOP (19th century to 20th century - 1800 AD to 1999 AD)
- TANNERY (18th century to 19th century - 1700 AD to 1899 AD)
- BLACKSMITHS WORKSHOP (19th century to 20th century - 1800 AD to 1999 AD)
Historic buildings and desk-based assessment was undertaken in advance of proposals for the redevelopment or conversion of the factory site. Between 1770 and 1828 the site had been a tan yard. The Silk Factory was constructed in the early 19th century by Stephen Walters, and sold on John Atterton in c. 1882, when the factory was converted into showrooms and the site used as an ironworks. The factory was used for silk weaving again by Kipling and Co in the 1890s through to the early 20th century when silk weaving appears to cease. The site was still in use as an ironworks in the early 21st century. Hamlet House is the earliest building on the site, dating from the late 1700s/ early 1800s and retains many of its original features. Other buildings include an early 19th century silk factory, which has been partially reworked. Other buildings date to the late 19th/20th centuries (S1).
Doubled numbered as HVH 054 (Now revoked).
- <S1> SSF53596 Unpublished document: Gibson, A, Henry, K. and Grassam, A.. 2005. Ironworks Site, Hamlet Road, Haverhill, Suffolk. Archaeological Desk-Based Assessment and Historic Building Assessment.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jun 16 2015 2:17PM