Monument record BSE 295 - Land to Rear of 82 Guildhall Street, Bury St Edmunds
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 8520 6409 (17m by 11m)|
|Civil Parish||BURY ST EDMUNDS, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (6)
2010: Monitoring was carried out during the demolition of a garage and the construction a basement behind 82 Guildhall Street. The excavations exposed a section of the medieval town ditch and although a complete section could not be exposed it showed that the ditch was c. 5m deep from the present ground surface. No remains of the town wall were found but the line of the wall could be traced by the extent of a terrace, which had been dug into the chalk hillside from Guildhall Street. A ditch extending from Guildhall street is interpreted as a property boundary and contained the remains of a very fine glass goblet decorated in a Viennese style but probably made in Antwerp in the late 16th century and indicative of a wealthy household. The ditch was replaced by a two phases of boundary wall, the earliest of which was associated with a laid chalk floor on the south side and was contained within a long warehouse or industrial building in the 18th century. A sequence of three wells was identified with the last having been filled in during the 19th century. The north end of a substantial stable block, which was built during the first half of the 19th century was uncovered, which extended along the rear of 81-82 Guildhall Street. This building was later converted into garages by raising the floor by c. 1m thereby allowing vehicular access onto St Andrews Street in the 20th (S1).
- <S1> SSF53661 Unpublished document: Tester, A.. 2010. Archaeological Monitoring Report, Land to Rear of 82 Guildhall Street, Bury St Edmunds, BSE 295.
- FSF34829: POTTERY (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- FSF34830: GOBLET (16th century - 1500 AD to 1599 AD)
- FSF47800: POTTERY (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FSF47801: BRICK (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- FSF47802: TILE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- FSF47803: TILE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FSF47804: ANIMAL REMAINS (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jun 14 2018 2:19PM