Farmstead record DRK 029 - Farmstead: Garden House Farm
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 9675 5972 (43m by 66m)|
|Civil Parish||DRINKSTONE, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
A historic building record was made of a barn at Garden House Farm in advance of conversion. The flint barn is an usually small 'Napoleonic' example reflecting the agricultural boom in Suffolk in the early 19th century, and contains an intact gault brick threshing floor. However the barn has lost its original roof, and the timber framed stable to the N has also been extensively altered, so do not meet the criteria for listing (S1).
Garden House Farm, Drinkstone. 19th century farmstead and farmhouse with converted buildings. Loose courtyard two-sided plan formed by working agricultural buildings. The farmhouse is set away from the yard. Partial loss (less than 50%) of the traditional farm buildings. Located within an isolated position (S2-7).
Recorded as part of the Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project. This is a purely desk-based study and no site visits were undertaken. These records are not intended to be a definitive assessment of these buildings. Dating reflects their presence at a point in time on historic maps and there is potential for earlier origins to buildings and farmsteads. This project highlights a potential need for a more in depth field study of farmstead to gather more specific age data.
- <S1> SSF53718 Unpublished document: Alston, L.. 2010. Historic Building Record: Barn at Garden House Farm, Drinkstone, Suffolk.
- <S2> SSF59079 Unpublished document: Campbell, G., and McSorley, G. 2019. SCCAS: Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project.
- <S3> SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition.
- <S4> SXS50094 Map: Ordnance Survey. c 1904. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 2nd edition. 25".
- <S5> SSZ54999 Vertical Aerial Photograph: various. Google Earth / Bing Maps.
- <S6> SXS50102 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1949. Ordnance Survey 6 inch to 1, mile, 3rd edition. 1:10,560.
- <S7> SSF5376 Map: 1839. Drinkstone Tithe Map.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Feb 10 2020 3:08PM