Monument record HNN 007 - Ancient trackway or road of unknown date.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 8820 7496 (2520m by 1386m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||HONINGTON, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
|Civil Parish||TROSTON, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
On his 6" OS map Basil Brown notes: "Some evidence obtained that helps to confirm ancient trackway, BB 1951" (S1).
No topographical features are visible to suggest an ancient trackway, other than the alignment of the parish boundary and circa 1150.0m of modern road. The route follows a straight course over flat sandy soil, now partly covered by Honington Airfield. Possible terminal points; the old toll road (now the A 134) and Ixworth Thorpe (TL 9173) Tithe maps not consulted. (S2)
- <S1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Brown B, maps SAU ref nos. 10 and 15.
- <M1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Basil Brown archive: maps.
- <S2> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL87NE8.
- <S3> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- <S4> SSF59830 Source Unchecked: RCHME?. Various. Field Investigators Comments. F1 PAS 29-JAN-79.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Mar 12 2021 4:15PM