Farmstead record BUG 032 - Farmstead: Burgh Farm
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 231 510 (131m by 131m)|
|Civil Parish||BURGH, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (6)
A level II written and photographic building assessment was undertaken in advance of conversion proposals. The small barn is a 3-bay timber framed building on a brick plinth, with additional lean to and stable link. The barns appears to have been used for storage rather than livestock, on account of its only having small sized pedestrian doors. Cartographic evidence and construction details indicate a date in the first half of the 19th century. The barn was noted as being in excellent condition with little structural change, but with no signs of original fittings (S1).
Recorded as part of the Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project. This is a purely desk-based study and no site visits were undertaken. These records are not intended to be a definitive assessment of these buildings. Dating reflects their presence at a point in time on historic maps and there is potential for earlier origins to buildings and farmsteads. This project highlights a potential need for a more in depth field study of farmstead to gather more specific age data.
- --- SSF59079 Unpublished document: Campbell, G., and McSorley, G. 2019. SCCAS: Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project.
- --- SSF59216 Map: 1839. Burgh Tithe Map.
- --- SSZ54999 Vertical Aerial Photograph: various. Google Earth.
- --- SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition.
- <S1> SSF53853 Unpublished document: SB Designs. 2011. Building Report, Proposed Conversion of Existing Outbuillding to Form New Annex to Burgh House.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Jul 22 2019 12:21PM