Farmstead record FRD 018 - Farmstead: Framsden Hall
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 2056 6002 (186m by 162m)|
|Civil Parish||FRAMSDEN, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
16th C timber-framed barn with bricknogging and a tiled roof in the grounds of Framsden Hall (FRD 017). This barn has 12 bays and 3 porches. It has a very early example of a two-tier butt purlin roof and a rare example of a triangular ridge piece. Overall this roof is a fairly unique construction (S1).
Framsden Hall, Framsden. 16th century farmstead and manor farmhouse. Regular courtyard full plan formed by working agricultural buildings. The farmhouse is set away from the yard. Partial loss (less than 50%) of the traditional farm buildings. Located within an isolated position (S2-7).
Recorded as part of the Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project. This is a purely desk-based study and no site visits were undertaken. These records are not intended to be a definitive assessment of these buildings. Dating reflects their presence at a point in time on historic maps and there is potential for earlier origins to buildings and farmsteads. This project highlights a potential need for a more in depth field study of farmstead to gather more specific age data.
- <S1> SSF54036 Unpublished document: Aitkens, P and Wade-Martins, S.. 1998. The Farmsteads of Suffolk. A Thematic Study.
- <S1> SSF55051 Article in serial: Aitkens, P.. 1989. Aisled Barns is Suffolk.
- <S2> SSF59079 Unpublished document: Campbell, G., and McSorley, G. 2019. SCCAS: Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project.
- <S3> SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition.
- <S4> SXS50094 Map: Ordnance Survey. c 1904. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 2nd edition. 25".
- <S5> SSZ54999 Vertical Aerial Photograph: various. Google Earth.
- <S6> SXS50102 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1949. Ordnance Survey 6 inch to 1, mile, 3rd edition. 1:10,560.
- <S7> SSF59542 Map: 1839. Framsden Tithe Map.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Mar 2 2020 1:54PM