Farmstead record WNT 054 - Farmstead: Winston Hall Farm
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 1794 6170 (121m by 130m)|
|Civil Parish||WINSTON, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (5)
16th C 8 bay timber-framed and weatherboarded barn with a tiled roof. The frame is of high quality and a similar design to a barn at Framsden Hall (FRD 018), which suggests that they may have been constructed by the same carpenter. Alterations were carried out in the 18th C including the addition of a butt-purlin roof and an extension. Also present is a 16th C 7 bay timber-framed and weatherboarded stable and cowhouse with a tiled crownpost roof; a number of modifications were carried out on this structure in the 19th C (S1).
Winston Hall Farm, Winston. 16th century farmstead and farmhouse with converted buildings. Regular courtyard multi-yard, formed by working agricultural buildings. The farmhouse is set away from the yard. Partial loss (less than 50%) of the traditional farm buildings. Located within a village (S2-7).
Recorded as part of the Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project. This is a purely desk-based study and no site visits were undertaken. These records are not intended to be a definitive assessment of these buildings. Dating reflects their presence at a point in time on historic maps and there is potential for earlier origins to buildings and farmsteads. This project highlights a potential need for a more in depth field study of farmstead to gather more specific age data.
- <S1> SSF54036 Unpublished document: Aitkens, P and Wade-Martins, S.. 1998. The Farmsteads of Suffolk. A Thematic Study.
- <S2> SSF59079 Unpublished document: Campbell, G., and McSorley, G. 2019. SCCAS: Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project.
- <S3> SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition.
- <S4> SXS50094 Map: Ordnance Survey. c 1904. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 2nd edition. 25".
- <S5> SSZ54999 Vertical Aerial Photograph: various. Google Earth.
- <S6> SXS50102 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1949. Ordnance Survey 6 inch to 1, mile, 3rd edition. 1:10,560.
- <S7> SSF23257 Map: 1845. Winston Tithe Map and Apportionment.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
May 24 2021 1:32PM