Farmstead record BAD 023 - Farmstead: The Dower House/Doves Barm (Doveshill Farm)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 0782 5608 (87m by 118m)|
|Civil Parish||BADLEY, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (5)
The Dower House/Doves Barm (Doveshill Farm), Bacton. Predominantly 19th century farmstead with 16th century stable and 16th century farmhouse with converted buildings. Regular courtyard multi-yard plan formed by working agricultural buildings. The farmhouse is set away from the yard. Significant loss (over 50%) of the traditional farm buildings. Located within a loose farmhouse cluster (S1-5).
Late 16th C timber-framed and weatherboarded stable with a purlin style roof covered in thatch. The stable originally had 8 bays, although an extra 2 were added in the 18th C. In the 19th C this building was converted into a barn (S6).
Recorded as part of the Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project. This is a purely desk-based study and no site visits were undertaken. These records are not intended to be a definitive assessment of these buildings. Dating reflects their presence at a point in time on historic maps and there is potential for earlier origins to buildings and farmsteads. This project highlights a potential need for a more in depth field study of farmstead to gather more specific age data.
- <S1> SXS50102 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1949. Ordnance Survey 6 inch to 1, mile, 3rd edition. 1:10,560.
- <S2> SSZ54999 Vertical Aerial Photograph: various. Google Earth.
- <S3> SXS50094 Map: Ordnance Survey. c 1904. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 2nd edition. 25".
- <S4> SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition.
- <S5> SSF59079 Unpublished document: Campbell, G., and McSorley, G. 2019. SCCAS: Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project.
- <S6> SSF54036 Unpublished document: Aitkens, P and Wade-Martins, S.. 1998. The Farmsteads of Suffolk. A Thematic Study.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Nov 18 2019 2:28PM