Farmstead record NRN 026 - Farmstead: Norton Hall
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 9701 6542 (79m by 96m)|
|Civil Parish||NORTON, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (5)
Norton Hall is a farmstead visible on the 1st Ed Os map. The farmstead is laid out in a regular full plan with additional detached elements. The farmhouse is attached to the agricultural range. The farmstead sits alongside a private track in an isolated location. This farmstead survives intact with additional modern sheds on site. (S2-5)
Farm buildings associated with a 16th C brick farmhouse. This includes a 16th C brick barn with a purlin roof; this structure was originally thatched and L-shaped in form, although a number of alterations have been carried out to it through time. Also present is a 17th C timber-framed and weatherboarded stable with a cartlodge at one end and a granary above; this has a slate covered purlin roof (S1).
Recorded as part of the Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project. This is a purely desk-based study and no site visits were undertaken. These records are not intended to be a definitive assessment of these buildings. Dating reflects their presence at a point in time on historic maps and there is potential for earlier origins to buildings and farmsteads. This project highlights a potential need for a more in depth field study of farmstead to gather more specific age data.
- <S1> SSF54036 Unpublished document: Aitkens, P and Wade-Martins, S.. 1998. The Farmsteads of Suffolk. A Thematic Study.
- <S2> SSF59079 Unpublished document: Campbell, G., and McSorley, G. 2019. SCCAS: Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project.
- <S3> SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition.
- <S4> SXS50094 Map: Ordnance Survey. c 1904. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 2nd edition. 25".
- <S5> SSZ54999 Vertical Aerial Photograph: various. Google Earth.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Mar 28 2020 2:44PM