Farmstead record GAZ 025 - Farmstead: Desning Hall Farm
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 7349 6329 (149m by 157m)|
|Civil Parish||GAZELEY, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
Desning Hall Farm is a farmstead visible on the 1st Ed Os map. The farmstead is laid out in a regular courtyard multi-yard with the farmhouse detached and set away from the yard. The farmstead sits alongside a private track in an isoalted location. There has been a significant loss of working buildings and the farmhouse with modern sheds on the side. (S3-6)
A 14th C timber-framed and weatherboarded 9 bay aisled barn with a 13th C core; this has been identified through the presence of components using some of the earliest jointing techniques found in Suffolk (S1).
Recorded as part of the Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project. This is a purely desk-based study and no site visits were undertaken. These records are not intended to be a definitive assessment of these buildings. Dating reflects their presence at a point in time on historic maps and there is potential for earlier origins to buildings and farmsteads. This project highlights a potential need for a more in depth field study of farmstead to gather more specific age data.
- <S1> SSF54036 Unpublished document: Aitkens, P and Wade-Martins, S.. 1998. The Farmsteads of Suffolk. A Thematic Study.
- <S2> SSF55051 Article in serial: Aitkens, P.. 1989. Aisled Barns is Suffolk.
- <S3> SSZ54999 Vertical Aerial Photograph: various. Google Earth.
- <S4> SXS50094 Map: Ordnance Survey. c 1904. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 2nd edition. 25".
- <S5> SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition.
- <S6> SSF59079 Unpublished document: Campbell, G., and McSorley, G. 2019. SCCAS: Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Feb 3 2020 2:57PM