Farmstead record FNN 019 - Farmstead: Church Farm
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 0683 6938 (42m by 48m)|
|Civil Parish||FINNINGHAM, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
A 15th C timber-framed and plastered open hall house, containing smoke-blackened timbers. In the 17th C parts of this house were rebuilt and a number of alterations were made. This house has a crownpost roof and mullioned windows. In the grounds of this farm is a 3 bay 19th C barn made of clay lump on brick, with a clasped purlin roof (S1).
Church Farm, Finningham. 19th century farmstead and 15th century farmhouse. Regular courtyard U-shaped plan formed by working agricultural buildings. The farmhouse is set away from the yard. Partial loss (less than 50%) of the traditional farm buildings. Located within a village (S2-7).
Recorded as part of the Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project. This is a purely desk-based study and no site visits were undertaken. These records are not intended to be a definitive assessment of these buildings. Dating reflects their presence at a point in time on historic maps and there is potential for earlier origins to buildings and farmsteads. This project highlights a potential need for a more in depth field study of farmstead to gather more specific age data.
- <S1> SSF54036 Unpublished document: Aitkens, P and Wade-Martins, S.. 1998. The Farmsteads of Suffolk. A Thematic Study.
- <S2> SSF59079 Unpublished document: Campbell, G., and McSorley, G. 2019. SCCAS: Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project.
- <S3> SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition.
- <S4> SXS50094 Map: Ordnance Survey. c 1904. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 2nd edition. 25".
- <S5> SSZ54999 Vertical Aerial Photograph: various. Google Earth / Bing Maps.
- <S6> SXS50102 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1949. Ordnance Survey 6 inch to 1, mile, 3rd edition. 1:10,560.
- <S7> SSF21893 Map: 1839. Finningham Tithe and Apportionment.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Apr 24 2020 2:02PM