Monument record CAC 025 - Prehistoric, Medieval and Post Medieval features at Chapel Road
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 5074 9029 (289m by 385m)|
|Civil Parish||CARLTON COLVILLE, WAVENEY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
2001: An archaeological evaluation carried out on Carlton Colville bypass revealed a ditch of either Roman or Medieval date. The ditch could be part of a field boundary. An Early Bronze Age scrapper was an unstratified find from the topsoil suggesting prehistoric activity in the vicinity (S1).
2004:An archaeological excavation was carried out following an evaluation of a proposed housing development site. Whilst an Iron Age ditch and a small number of prehistoric finds were located, as well as a small amount of post-medieval pottery, the majority of finds and features found at this site dated to the medieval period. This included 16 ditches which appear to relate to a medieval field system, 5 post holes and large quantities of pottery and other finds (S2).
- FSF35476: POTTERY (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FSF35477: POTTERY (Iron Age - 800 BC to 42 AD)
- FSF35478: POTTERY (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- FSF35479: TILE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FSF35480: QUERN (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FSF35481: BURNT FLINT (Early Neolithic to Medieval - 4000 BC? to 1539 AD?)
- FSF35482: ANIMAL REMAINS (Unknown date)
- FSF40576: LITHIC IMPLEMENT (Early Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 1501 BC)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Mar 17 2016 3:37PM