Farmstead record WBY 020 - Farmstead: Lane Farm
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 2545 7222 (85m by 89m)|
|Civil Parish||WILBY, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (10)
- FARMHOUSE (15th century - 1400 AD to 1499 AD)
- STABLE (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- HOUSE (15th century - 1400 AD to 1499 AD)
- THRESHING BARN (17th century - 1600 AD to 1699 AD)
- SHELTER SHED (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- PIT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FARMSTEAD (17th century - 1600 AD to 1699 AD)
- FLOOR (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- BARN (17th century - 1600 AD to 1699 AD)
- REGULAR COURTYARD FULL PLAN (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
Lane Farm lies in arable countryside, adjoining the western edge of the medieval Wilby Green. The 1838 tithe survey records that the farm was a tenanted holding of c.44 acres, including the two-acre green. The farmhouse is grade II-listed, timber framed and thatched, and of 15th century date. It has a queen-post truss in its sooted open hall. The timber-framed, weatherboarded 'barn' to the rear of the house was last used as animal accommodation, with a hay loft on its upper storey. It contains two mangers and a hay rack of the mid-1800s, but was built in the 1400s as a house. The two eastern bays were altered but formed an open hall with a cross-passage and a parlour door in its western gable. The original timbers are heavily sooted. The two western bays are late 16th century, with a ceiling of finely chamfered joists and evidence of four diamond-mullion windows. This replaced the smaller medieval parlour, reflecting similar alterations to the farmhouse. The hall's ceiling is an early 17th century insertion, supported by a chimney in the medieval cross-passage. The building may have been a bakehouse before conversion into animal accommodation by removing the chimney in the mid-1800s. Medieval records often refer to domestic houses on the same tenement, but surviving examples are exceptionally rare. Given its date and importance the 'barn' is worthy of its own grade II listing.
There is also a 17th C 3 bay threshing barn, with 2 bays constructed from timber-framing and the other from clay lump. The frame was rebuilt and raised and the barn re-roofed in the 19th C. In addition there is a 19th C timber-framed shelter shed (S1).
2012: An archaeological monitoring was carried out during works associated with a former medieval inset house, which had subsequently been used as an outbuilding. The site was located at Lane Farm, Foals Green, Wilby, in Suffolk. The project monitored the lowering of floor levels within the outbuilding and the excavation of two footings trenches joining it to the farmhouse, which is a Grade II Listed Building (LB no. 280270). Historic map evidence suggested that the outbuilding had been moved a short distance and the absence of floor or fireplace evidence associated with the inset house strongly supports this. A medieval pit producing 12th-14th pottery, and the remains of a former external yard surface indicate earlier occupation activity and the previous farm layout (S2).
Lane Farm, Wilby. 17th century farmstead and 15th century farmhouse. Regular courtyard full plan formed by working agricultural buildings. The farmhouse is set away from the yard. Partial loss (less than 50%) of the traditional farm buildings. Located within a hamlet (S3-S8).
Recorded as part of the Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project. This is a purely desk-based study and no site visits were undertaken. These records are not intended to be a definitive assessment of these buildings. Dating reflects their presence at a point in time on historic maps and there is potential for earlier origins to buildings and farmsteads. This project highlights a potential need for a more in depth field study of farmstead to gather more specific age data.
- --- SSF59079 Unpublished document: Campbell, G., and McSorley, G. 2019. SCCAS: Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project.
- --- SSF60023 Map: 1838. Wilby Tithe Map.
- --- SSZ54999 Vertical Aerial Photograph: various. Google Earth.
- --- SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition.
- --- SXS50094 Map: Ordnance Survey. c 1904. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 2nd edition. 25".
- --- SXS50102 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1949. Ordnance Survey 6 inch to 1, mile, 3rd edition. 1:10,560.
- <S1> SSF54244 Unpublished document: Alston, L.. 2012. Historic Building Record: Outbuilding at Lane Farmhouse, Wilby, Suffolk.
- <S2> SSF54889 Unpublished document: Picard S & Brooks R. 2012. Archaeological Monitoring Report, Building at Lane Farm, Wilby.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Record last edited
May 5 2021 1:47PM