Monument record BAY 036 - Three Anglo-Saxon features and cropmarks of ring ditches, Baylham Nickel Removal Scheme
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 1161 5222 (12m by 12m)|
|Civil Parish||BAYLHAM, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
An archaeological monitoring was carried out on land to the north west of Baylham Pumping Station, in advance of a nickel removal scheme undertaken by Anglian Water. A single area strip, heading northwest from the pumping station, was opened and 3 features were observed. All three features date to the early Anglo-Saxon period, with residual finds from the Roman period possibly indicating some continuity of activity within the Roman settlement Combretovium, less than 200m to the north, into this period or as further examples of Anglo-Saxon ‘curation’ of Roman objects. The site also provides further evidence of Anglo-Saxon activity in the Gipping Valley area near to the Roman settlement.(S1)
2006: An assessment of aerial photographs identified two possible ring ditches within the site. These might represent bronze age burials or small settlement enclosures (S2).
- --- SSF57682 Unpublished document: Atfield, R.. 2006. Desk Based Assessment- Baylham Nickel Removal Scheme.
- <S1> SSF54437 Unpublished document: Cass, S.. 2009. Archaeological Monitoring Report: Baylham Nickel Removal Project, Baylham.
- <S2> SSF60780 Unpublished document: Palmer, R.. 2006. Aerial photographic Assessment: Baylham Nickel Removal Scheme, Area centred TM114520.
- FSF36023: POTTERY (Early Saxon - 410 AD to 649 AD)
- FSF36024: COIN (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF36025: LITHIC IMPLEMENT (Later Prehistoric - 4000 BC to 42 AD)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
- Event - Survey: Aerial Photographic Assessment - Baylham Nickel Removal Scheme, Area centred TM114520 (ESF29200)
- Event - Survey: Desk Based Assessment - Baylham Nickel Removal Scheme, Baylham (ESF25592)
- Event - Intervention: Monitoring - Baylam Nickel Removal Scheme, Baylham (Ref: OASIS-suffolkc1-55736) (ESF21499)
Record last edited
Nov 14 2022 4:14PM