Monument record BOY 002 - Boyton Hall
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 379 462 (341m by 344m)|
|Civil Parish||BOYTON, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Extensive settlement of typical prehistoric type (S1)(S2). Part of same site as HLY 005 (S3).
The features visible on the photographs are not archaeological in origin and result from geological phenomena, such as periglacial frost cracks or ice-wedges. A rectangular feature visible in the centre of S1 photographs is probably a modern 'borrow-pit' excavated for land improvement purposes.
September 2015. Suffolk Coast and Heaths Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty National Mapping Programme.
The geological features described above are clearly visible on aerial photographs (S4). However, it is worth noting that some of these features could be easily confused with archaeology, and that an archaeological provenance should not be ruled out for at least two of the more extensive linear features, especially given the proximity of the site to the scheduled cropmarks to the southwest (SHER HLY 005). In fact, linear field boundary features of possible medieval to post medieval date have been recorded separately slightly to the north within the same field (SHER BOY 073).
E. Ford (Norfolk Historic Environment Service), 3rd September 2015.
- <M1> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. APs: ACU 25, 24; CUCAP ASK 12.
- <S1> SSF50071 Photograph: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Air Photograph. SAU ACU 24,25.
- <S2> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. CUCAP (ASK12) 03-JUL-1967.
- <S3> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM34NE6.
- <S4> SSF55746 Oblique Aerial Photograph: Oblique aerial photograph. SFU 11550/24-25 25-JUL-1975 (EHA Original Print).
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
- Event - Interpretation: Mapping Block 3: Sutton to Orford. NMP National Mapping Programme Project for Suffolk Coast and Heaths Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty (Ref: English Heritage Project No. 7085 (ESF23316)) (ESF23317)
- Event - Interpretation: Suffolk Coast and Intertidal Zone NMP Project (EXS18033)
- Event - Interpretation: TM34NE. Mapping Block 3: Capel St Andrew to HLY. NMP National Mapping Programme Project for Suffolk Coast and Heaths AONB (Ref: English Heritage Project No. 7085 (ESF23316)) (ESF23316)
Record last edited
Dec 2 2015 3:53PM