Monument record HLN 008 - Holton Hall; Holton Park

Please read our .


Holton Park and site of Holton Hall.


Grid reference Centred TM 4052 7821 (687m by 787m)
Map sheet TM47NW


Type and Period (4)

Full Description

Holton Park and site of Holton Hall. Hall built in (early?) 18th century in parkland of nearly 90 acres. Not shown on Hodskinsons 1783 map. Early ownership unknown, in possession of Rev John Brewster Wilkinson by 1832. Details in (S1).
Possible location of manorial site: -
1066 manor of 20 acres held by Edric.
1086 manor of 20 acres held by Robert malet.
1286 William de Vaux/Vallibus owns.
1476 John Mannock owns.
It is speculated that manorial rights were transferred, date unknown but probably in 15th/16th century, to parish of Wissett (S2).
In 1882 the original Georgian house was badly damaged by fire. It is not clear how much survived the rebuild of 3 storeys and 5 bays for details and rear photo see (S1).
"The house, with its stabling, carriage house and harness rooms, fruit and game stores, gardener's cottage, barn, kitchen and fruit gardens, vinery, green house and peach house, came with 450 acres of which 80 acres was parkland"(S1). There were [they survive] also West and East Lodges.
Requisitioned during WWII, pulled down in 1957 (S1, and see for history). Became a static caravan park. The parkland is now a recognised country wildlife site, though the south end has been built over and much of the central portion remains a caravan park.
There is a map of 1610 showing the estate lands around Holton Park which shows a routeway going through the park which was therefore a different shape and size to that today (copy in parish file) (S4, R1).

Sources/Archives (5)

  • <R1> Source Checked: Suffolk Record Office. Ipswich RO, 1610 plan, T.4232.
  • <S1> Bibliographic reference: Roberts, W.M.. 2010. Lost Country Houses Of Suffolk. 93-5, 171, 191-2, ill.
  • <S2> Bibliographic reference: Goult W. 1990. A Survey of Suffolk Parish History. East Suffolk, A-H.
  • <S3> Bibliographic reference: Barker H R. 1911. East Suffolk Illustrated.
  • <S4> Bibliographic reference: Email. Peck D to Pendleton C, 24 July 2012, map.

Finds (0)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

Record last edited

Nov 2 2012 4:14PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.