Monument record HWT 029 - Dairy Site, Angel Link, Halesworth
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 3874 7727 (153m by 121m)|
|Civil Parish||HALESWORTH, WAVENEY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (6)
An archaeological evaluation was undertaken by AOC Archaeology in January 2008 at the Dairy Site, Angel Link, Halesworth. The evaluation comprised of 11 trenches. Natural Lowestoft sands and gravels were identified between 12.79m and 7.88m OD. Cut into this were a number of archaeological features including small ditches, pits, animal burials and a human inhumation. In the eastern part of the site evidence of marshland was discovered, alluvial clays covered the natural sands. No archaeological features were observed here. There was a low level of prehistoric activity, a number of worked flints were discovered. The burial is of early medieval date. there was little other medieval activity considering the closeness of St Marys church. On the Southern area of the site a wall relating to a possible building was discovered. This may date to the 16th century (S1).
- <S1> SSF54465 Unpublished document: Hogg I & Melikian M. 2008. Archaeological Evaluation Report, Dairy Site, Angel Link, Halesworth, HWT 029.
- FSF36050: QUERN (Unknown date)
- FSF36051: POTTERY (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF36052: POTTERY (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FSF36053: ANIMAL REMAINS (Unknown date)
- FSF36054: LITHIC IMPLEMENT (Later Prehistoric - 4000 BC to 42 AD)
- FSF36055: HUMAN REMAINS (IPS: Early Middle Saxon to IPS: Middle Saxon - 700 AD to 799 AD)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jul 14 2012 11:14AM