Monument record WHL 028 - Hog Lane, Westhall
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 3928 8349 (384m by 368m)|
|Civil Parish||WESTHALL, WAVENEY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (5)
An archaeological evaluation was conducted for St Lawrence Hall Farms Ltd ahead of the construction of an Anaerobic Digestor Plant and Broiler Unit. A total of 37 trenches were excavated, producing evidence of a small medieval (probably 13th-century) settlement and a possible prehistoric pit in the north-eastern corner of the development area and a number of broadly north-south aligned field boundaries to the west and south. These ditches are most likely post-medieval field boundaries visible on 19th and 20th century maps that were removed in the later 20th century although may have represented the continuation of field systems with prehistoric origins (S1).
- <S1> SSF54772 Unpublished document: Hickling, S. 2010. Archaeological Evaluation Report, Hog Lane, Westhall.
- FSF36389: POTTERY (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FSF36390: POTTERY (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- FSF36391: BRICK (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FSF36392: TILE (Medieval to IPS: Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- FSF36393: LITHIC IMPLEMENT (Later Prehistoric - 4000 BC to 42 AD)
- FSF36394: ANIMAL REMAINS (Unknown date)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Aug 29 2017 4:06PM