Monument record NRN 024 - Mill Farm, Norton
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 9599 6573 (49m by 55m)|
|Civil Parish||NORTON, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (7)
An evaluation and monitoring were carried out at Mill Farm, The Street, Norton, in Suffolk. The works revealed evidence of medieval/post-medieval ditches, as well as several post-medieval pits, postholes, floor layers, walls and foundation slots. Further undated postholes were also excavated. The majority of the later structural features related to a complex of farm buildings that had been on the site, whilst the pits are likely to be from slightly earlier farmyard activity. Finds recovered from the works included medieval pottery, as well as post-medieval pottery, brick, tile, animal bone, glass, a nail and coal. Undated fired clay was also recovered, as were a piece of later prehistoric worked flint and several heated stone fragments. Environmental samples from the site indicated that light industrial processes had been carried out in the area at some point and that there had been waterlogging or flooding too. An unstratified millstone was present on the site. Its date is uncertain, but it is thought to relate to the site's name. Some areas of the site had been slightly truncated by the laying of a post-medieval layer of aggregate across the area, which caused further damage to the underlying layers when it was machined off. However, apart from this the archaeological features were well preserved (S1).
- <S1> SSF54792 Unpublished document: Brooks R. 2012. Archaeological Evaluation and Monitoring Report, Mill Farm, Norton.
- FSF36371: MILLSTONE (Medieval to IPS: Post Medieval - 1066 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- FSF36372: TILE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- FSF36373: BRICK (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- FSF36374: LITHIC IMPLEMENT (Later Prehistoric - 4000 BC to 42 AD)
- FSF36375: POTTERY (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- FSF36376: POTTERY (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Nov 3 2012 2:40PM