Farmstead record CDD 076 - Farmstead: Valley Farm
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 1319 5458 (154m by 148m)|
|Civil Parish||CODDENHAM, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (6)
The outbuilding forms part of a service courtyard to the rear of Valley farmhouse. It is a largely uniform single-storied, narrow flint-rubble shed with a pantiled clasped-purlin roof, but contains three phases of construction. The original building of 10.5 m in length by 2.9 m in width appears to be shown on the tithe map of 1839 and dates from circa 1820. The interior is now divided by 19th century boarded partitions into three compartments used as dog kennels and a wood shed, but there is evidence of no fewer than four original doorways in the studwork of the southern elevation facing the farmhouse. Two of these doors were low and narrow, and correspond with a pair of small yards shown on 19th century Ordnance Surveys and the building was probably designed as a range of dog kennels and storage sheds. A mid-19th century extension to the west preserves a good 19th or early-20th century chicken coop of wooden slats and evidently operated as a poultry house while a central wing of the same period was a brew-house and retains its copper.
Also present at the site is a 16th C timber-framed barn and a 19th C brick stable with a hayloft above (S1).
Valley Farm, Coddenham. 16th century farmstead and 17th century farmhouse. Regular courtyard full plan formed by working agricultural buildings. The farmhouse is set away from the yard. Partial loss (less than 50%) of the traditional farm buildings and farmhouse. Located within a village (S2-7).
Recorded as part of the Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project. This is a purely desk-based study and no site visits were undertaken. These records are not intended to be a definitive assessment of these buildings. Dating reflects their presence at a point in time on historic maps and there is potential for earlier origins to buildings and farmsteads. This project highlights a potential need for a more in depth field study of farmstead to gather more specific age data.
- <S1> SSF54854 Unpublished document: Alston, L.. 2011. Historic Building Record: Outbuilding at Valley Farm, Coddenham, Suffolk.
- <S2> SSF59079 Unpublished document: Campbell, G., and McSorley, G. 2019. SCCAS: Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project.
- <S3> SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition.
- <S4> SXS50094 Map: Ordnance Survey. c 1904. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 2nd edition. 25".
- <S5> SSZ54999 Vertical Aerial Photograph: various. Google Earth.
- <S6> SXS50102 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1949. Ordnance Survey 6 inch to 1, mile, 3rd edition. 1:10,560.
- <S7> SSF59470 Map: 1839. Coddenham Tithe Map.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Jan 23 2020 5:02PM