Monument record AMP 002 - Church of St Peter

Please read our .


Church of St Peter. C15 in date, although much was restored in 1848.


Grid reference Centred TL 8661 7118 (55m by 40m)
Map sheet TL87SE


Type and Period (1)

Full Description

This church is in the diocese of St Edmundsbury and Ipswich, the archdeaconry of Sudbury and the deanery of Thingoe. Status: rectory (S1). The structure is : chancel, nave, S porch, embattled W tower. The date is C15, but it was much restored by Tenlon in 1848 (S1).
The church contains a chantry chapel which was granted to John Cobet in 1479. There are a series of C17 mural monuments with effigies including one to William Whetell (1629) by Nicholas Stone and one to Henry Calthorpe by John and Matthias Christmas (1638)(S2).
The treasure of the church is a C17 'Sealed Book'; one of only 31 that came into existence and it dates from 1662 (S2).
The restoration in the 1840's by Tenlon and a further one in 1889 caused the gallery to be removed, the nave roof replaced and the chancel roof with painted bosses uncovered (S2).

Sources/Archives (2)

  • <S1> (No record type): SAU, Suffolk Parishes, a guide to their archaeol and hist, 1984-1985, ms.
  • <S2> (No record type): SAU (Atkinson R G), Summ of Doc Sources for Churches in Suff, 1986, ms.

Finds (0)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

Record last edited

Jan 16 2006 4:17PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.