Monument record LMG 005 - Church of St Peter
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 8852 7138 (74m by 102m)|
|Civil Parish||GREAT LIVERMERE, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
This church is within the diocese of St Edmundsbury and Ipswich, the archdeaconry of Sudbury and the deanery of Ixworth. Status: rectory (S1). The structure is: chancel, nave, S porch, W tower (S2).
The chancel is either Decorated or Early English. Blocked lancet windows suggest an earlier C13 form. The east window is Decorated. The chancel arch is late Decorated. There is a vestry to the north side of the chancel; this was built circa 1827. The N doorway in the nave is circa 1200 and the windows in the nave are Decorated. The nave formerly housed a shrine to "Our Lady of Pity". The wooden screen is Perpendicular, dating from the early C15. Evidence of former wall paintings; only fragments remain today. The pulpit is a three-decker circa 1700. The font is C14, Perpendicular, and a stone octagon; the faces are decorated with circles, quatrefoils, flowers etc. The W tower is mostly of flints, square and embattled, but it has a weatherboarded top with a pyramid roof; it dates from the late Decorated period. The S porch is Perpendicular. One of the benches in the nave is dated 1601. In 1897 the church was re-seated with oak benches (S2).
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Mar 20 2019 5:28PM