Monument record WLG 006 - Church of St Thomas a Becket
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 8781 5934 (100m by 91m)|
|Civil Parish||GREAT WHELNETHAM, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
This church is in the diocese of St Edmundsbury and Ipswich, the archdeaconry of Sudbury and the deanery of Lavenham. Status: rectory (S1). The structure is: chancel, nave, S porch, N aisle, N transept, N porch (S2). The chancel is C13 with a late Perpendicular E window and Decorated double and single light windows. It also contains C13 sedilia. The nave is perhaps C13. The nave roof is Decorated. The font is a stone octagon in the Perpendicular style, dating from the C15 and it has an early C18 cover. The pulpit is Stuart, with C16 panels. The N aisle is Decorated and has a two bay arcade. The N transept and N porch are modern. The W tower is down. There is a wooden belfry at the W end of the nave roof - erected in 1749. The S porch is small and wooden and in the Perpendicular style (S2).
In the restoration of 1883 the gallery (singers gallery) was removed, the nave re-benched and an oak reredos and the pulpit erected (S2).
See SCCAS Report 99/32 for measured drawing of S face of the nave (S3).
- <S1> SSF20777 (No record type): SAU, Suffolk Parishes, a guide to their archaeol and hist, 1984-1985, ms.
- <S2> SSF17921 (No record type): SAU (Atkingson R G), Summary of doc sources for churches in Suff,1986,ms.
- <S3> SSF50036 Unpublished document: Suffolk County Council Archaeologcial Service. Various. SAU, Gill D, SCCAS Report 99/32, November 1998.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Oct 20 1986 12:00AM