Monument record NKT 003 - Church of St Agnes
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 6502 6399 (99m by 94m)|
|Civil Parish||NEWMARKET, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
|Civil Parish||EXNING, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
This church is in the diocese of St Edmundsbury and Ipswich, the archdeaconry of Sudbury and the deanery of Mildenhall (S1)
It was commissioned by the Duchess of Montrose in memory of her second husband, William Stuart Stirling Crawfurd, in 1886. It was built to the designs of R H Carpenter (S2).
The style of architecture is Decorated. The exterior is simple red brick with stone dressings and an asymmetrically placed slender turret. This turret has an unusual upper stage incorporating diminutive crocketted gables and is capped with an octagonal crocketted spirelet. The interior is red brick and stone, embellished with a great deal of Salviati mosaic and a majolica-tiled dado. There is a three bay nave with a S chapel and a taller chancel raised up on steps (S2).
The major feature of the church is the elaborate marble reredos by Boehm. It is in the Renaissance manner and depicts the Assumption of the Virgin surrounded by cherubs in clouds. Around this panel is more mosaic. Above the reredos is a blind arcade framing six saints recessed behind inner arches. Mosaic continues up to the apex of this altarpiece gable. This is the only example of the 'high Victorian' use of such elaborate tile and mosaic work in Suffolk (S2).
Note: prior to boundary change site was in Exning parish.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Feb 22 2013 4:08PM