Monument record MNL 218 - Church of St James (Kenny Hill)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 6684 7972 (34m by 43m)|
|Civil Parish||MILDENHALL, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
|Civil Parish||Beck Row, Holywell Row and Kenny Hill, Forest Heath, Suffolk|
Type and Period (1)
This church is in the diocese of St Edmundsbury and Ipswich, the archdeaconry of Sudbury and the deanery of Mildenhall. Status: vicarage (S1). It was built to the designs of Matthew Morley in 1895. It replaced an iron church of 1876, which had blown down (S2). The steeple from the iron church was re-used as a bee-hive - see photograph in file (S3). Architecturally, it is a very simple Early English building. It is a dull brick and flint church with a three-bay nave and a lower chancel (S2). The E window in the chancel dates from 1900 and depicts the crucifixion and St James and St Mary. The tower stands at the SE angle of the church, which is made by the junction of the nave and the narrower chancel. It is a small octagonal tower with a spire (S2).
- <S1> SSF20777 (No record type): SAU, Suffolk Parishes, a guide to their archaeol and hist, 1984-1985, ms.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: copy (S3).
- <S2> SSF17929 (No record type): SAU (Atkinson R G), Summary of doc sources for churches in Suff, 1986,ms.
- <S3> SSF5375 (No record type): Dring Dr, Mildenhall Remembered (?) (unsure of title), c.1992.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Feb 13 2018 2:38PM