Monument record IKL 089 - Church of St James
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 7703 7305 (71m by 77m)|
|Civil Parish||ICKLINGHAM, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
This church is in the diocese of St Edmundsbury and Ipswich, the archdeaconry of Sudbury and the deanery of Mildenhall. Status: rectory (S1). The structure is: chancel, nave, N aisle, S aisle, porch, embattled W tower (S2).
The chancel is Decorated, as are the N and S doorways and a window at the W end of the N aisle. Decorated windows have also been re-used. The rest of the building is Perpendicular (S2).
The chancel is circa 1300. The E window has cusped intersected tracery and the odd motif of three arches at the foot of the intersecting part. One Perpendicular window has been inserted. The piscina is C13 and consists of two cusped but archless openings supported on a central pillar and flanked by a dropped window sill sedilia. A considerable amount of tracery is incorporated in the modern chancel benches, including part of a former rood screen. The chancel has a good "waggon type" roof with curious bosses. In the S wall of the chancel arch are the remains of the rood staircase. The nave was rebuilt during the Perpendicular period. The N part of the nave was built once again in the C19 using knapped flint. The nave roof is C15. The font is a Perpendicular stone octagon with quatrefoils in circles on the faces. The arcades are C15 and consist of four arches on each side of the nave in Perpendicular style. The arches are supported by quatrefoil piers. In the N wall of the N aisle is an aumbry which is rebated for a door. In the S wall at the E end, is a small piscina with a plain cinquefoil head. There are three clerestory windows above the aisles on each side. The tower is square and of stone. It was rebuilt in circa 1800 using knapped flint; the former tower having fallen down. The N porch is Perpendicular. The church houses some excellent benches with carved poppies. Inside the S door is a Holy Water stoup (S2).
The church was completely restored in 1864 at a cost of 1,600 pounds (S2).
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Apr 6 1989 12:00AM