Farmstead record KNN 022 - Farmstead: Suddon Hall
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 2010 6583 (137m by 126m)|
|Civil Parish||KENTON, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (6)
Late 19th century brick and pantiled outbuilding. It contains a single-storied stable to the south (in close proximity to the infilled northern arm of the moat) with an integral coach house and hay loft aligned at right-angles to the north. The stable was entered by a central doorway flanked by glazed windows and probably possessed a manger and hay rack against the opposite wall, although only a secondary iron hay basket now survives in conjunction with a good brick floor. The hay loft was reached by an external door in its eastern gable with the aid of a moveable ladder and a fixed platform immediately above the double doors of the coach house. The building is typical of many built to serve the needs of country gentlemen in the late Victorian period, and reflects the final years of horse power, when a small number of riding and carriage horses were still maintained separately from working farm horses. While coach houses were often converted into garages during the early part of the 20th century, and survive accordingly, small domestic stables quickly became outmoded and were usually demolished or heavily altered. Despite the loss of its doors, hay rack and manger, and the door platform to the loft, the external appearance and layout of this example is largely original and the building is therefore of some historic and visual interest (S1).
Sudden Hall, Kenton. 19th century farmstead and 16th century manor farmhouse with converted buildings. Regular courtyard multi-yard plan formed by working agricultural buildings. The farmhouse is set away from the yard. Significant loss (over 50%) of the traditional farm buildings. Located within an isolated position (S2-7).
- --- SSF59079 Unpublished document: Campbell, G., and McSorley, G. 2019. SCCAS: Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project.
- --- SSF59806 Map: 1841. Kenton Tithe Map.
- --- SSZ54999 Vertical Aerial Photograph: various. Google Earth.
- --- SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition.
- --- SXS50094 Map: Ordnance Survey. c 1904. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 2nd edition. 25".
- --- SXS50102 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1949. Ordnance Survey 6 inch to 1, mile, 3rd edition. 1:10,560.
- <S1> SSF55053 Unpublished document: Alston, L.. 2013. Heritage Asset Assessment: Stable and Coach House, Suddon Hall, Kenton, Suffolk.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Record last edited
Dec 6 2021 12:07PM