Farmstead record GRU 044 - Farmstead: Bond's Manor (Redhouse Farm)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 2103 5199 (89m by 115m)|
|Civil Parish||GRUNDISBURGH, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (7)
- FARMHOUSE (16th century to 17th century - 1500 AD to 1699 AD)
- THRESHING BARN (16th century to 17th century - 1500 AD to 1699 AD)
- GRANARY (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- SHELTER SHED (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- FARMSTEAD (16th century to 17th century - 1500 AD to 1699 AD)
- REGULAR COURTYARD E PLAN (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- BARN (16th century to 17th century - 1500 AD to 1699 AD)
Redhouse Farm is a farmstead visible on the 1st Ed OS map/ The farmstead is laid out in a regular E-plan with additional detached elements. The farmhouse is detached from the agricultural range. The farmstead sits alongside a public road in a loose farmstead cluster. This farmstead survives intact.
The farmhouse at Bond's Manor is a timber-framed structure with ovolo-moulded mullions, constructed C.1600, behind a Georgian red-brock façade, that has led to it being omitted from the Schedule of Listed Buildings.
The threshing barn at the site is a 4 bay timber-framed structure, that is contemproary with the farmhouse and accordingly of special historic interest. The barn was well-framed in oak with horizontal mid-rails and clad externally in rendered wattle and daub of which sections remain in-situ. Whilst the barn retains all four arch-braces flaanking its entrance bay, its fabric has been much depleted, with large areas beneath the mid rails replaced with cement block-work in the 20th C. The roof was also replaced in the 19th C. A 19th C timber-framed granary and shelted shed adjoin the barn; these have also been much rebuilt and altered, but reflect a phase of refurbishment at the site in the late 19th C. An original boarded floor and grain bin survive within the granary (S1).
Recorded as part of the Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project. This is a purely desk-based study and no site visits were undertaken. These records are not intended to be a definitive assessment of these buildings. Dating reflects their presence at a point in time on historic maps and there is potential for earlier origins to buildings and farmsteads. This project highlights a potential need for a more in depth field study of farmstead to gather more specific age data.
- --- SSF59079 Unpublished document: Campbell, G., and McSorley, G. 2019. SCCAS: Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project.
- --- SSZ54999 Vertical Aerial Photograph: various. Google Earth.
- --- SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition.
- <S1> SSF55073 Unpublished document: Alston, L.. 2013. Heritage Asset Assessment: Barn at Bond's Manor, Grundisburgh, Suffolk:.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Aug 21 2019 10:26AM