Monument record ADB 200 - World War II 'Diver' HAA battery
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 4594 5917 (330m by 246m)|
|Civil Parish||ALDEBURGH, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Site of a Second World War heavy anti aircraft (Diver) battery in the Diver Strip south of The Fens, Aldeburgh. It was armed with four 3.7-inch Mark IIc guns equipped with Predictor BTL, and Radar AA No.3 Mark V when it was deployed here on 10th October 1944, and was manned by 438 Battery of 138 Anti Aircraft Artillery Regiment. It formed part of 5 Heavy Anti Aircraft Brigade deployment.
March 2015. Suffolk Coast and Heaths Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty National Mapping Programme.
The site of a heavy anti-aircraft (diver) battery is visible as a series of structures on aerial photographs (S2)-(S4) on land to the south of The Fens, Aldeburgh.
E. Ford (Norfolk Historic Environment Service), 5th March 2015.
- <S1> SSF53735 Index: English Heritage. Pastscape. http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1412138.
- <S2> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. US/7PH/GP/LOC132 V 5049-5050 30-DEC-1943 (EHA Laser Copy).
- <S3> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. RAF/106G/UK/929 RP 3255-3256 16-OCT-1945 (EHA Original Print).
- <S4> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. RAF/106G/UK/1589 FP1209-1210 21-JUN-1946 (EHA Original Print).
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
- Event - Interpretation: 'Sensitivity to Access' assessment for Natural England Coastal Access project, February 2016. (ESF23524)
- Event - Interpretation: TM45NE. Mapping Block 1: Walberswick to Aldeburgh. NMP National Mapping Programme Project for Suffolk Coast and Heaths AONB (Ref: English Heritage Project No. 7085) (ESF23192)
Record last edited
Jul 30 2015 1:08PM