Monument record BRD 228 - Undated, possibly modern, rectangular pits, Brandon Park
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||TL 7903 8412 (point) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||BRANDON, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (8)
- PIT (Post Medieval to IPS: Modern - 1540 AD? to 2050 AD?)
- PIT (Unknown date)
- MILITARY TRAINING SITE? (IPS: Modern - 1901 AD? to 2050 AD?)
- SAW PIT? (Post Medieval to IPS: Modern - 1540 AD? to 2050 AD?)
- PRACTICE TRENCH? (First World War - 1914 AD? to 1918 AD?)
- PRACTICE TRENCH? (Second World War - 1939 AD? to 1945 AD?)
- SLIT TRENCH? (Second World War - 1939 AD? to 1945 AD?)
- SLIT TRENCH? (First World War - 1914 AD? to 1918 AD?)
Small group of rectangular pits, circa 15m by 8m. Forestry compartment (S1, copy in parish file).
Oct 2013: visited. Function and date unknown - sandy soil, no chalk upcast so not flint mines, too regular and small for mineral extraction pits. Possibly military training or saw-pits? Probably Post Medieval or Modern.
For 2 similar examples at Wordwell see WRW 051.
April 2018. 'Brecks from Above' and Breckland National Mapping Programme.
The undated rectangular pits described above were not identified on the consulted sources at the recorded location of the site; the annotated map (S1) has not been seen, so the extent of the pits is not known. Lidar imagery from 2015 (S2) indicates that the ground is uneven at this location but no discrete pits were identified. However, 40m to the northeast, a possible length of World War One or World War Two practice trench is visible as an earthwork on aerial photographs (S3). It is possible that this feature relates to the previously recorded pits, although its apparent non visibility on the lidar imagery (S2) suggests that it may have been levelled. The Monument Polygon defining the site now includes both the possible practice trench and the originally recorded grid reference.
S. Tremlett (Norfolk Historic Environment Service), 20th April 2018.
- <S1> SSF50153 Bibliographic reference: Email. Riley R (FC)to Pendleton C (SCCAS), 9 Oct 2013, notated map.
- <S2> SSF55747 LIDAR Airborne Survey: LIDAR airborne survey. LIDAR Wangford Forest Research 0.5m DTM 15-JUL-2015 (BNG Project, FC England, Fugro Geospatial).
- <S3> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. RAF/58/2688 F22 0363-0364 25-JAN-1959 (HEA Original Print).
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
May 11 2018 10:50AM