Monument record BAW 008 - Martello Tower AA (No. 2), Shingle Street
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 3655 4255 (206m by 257m)|
|Civil Parish||BAWDSEY, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Martello Tower (Number 2), built AD 1810-1812.
On the beach. A stone plinth round the base. Rear door with drawbridge. Two chimneys (one damaged)(S1).
1981: Now a private dwelling. Whole lower painted(?) & pebble dashed, concealing stone plinth. No evidence of drawbridge or chimneys. Small circular sun room constructed on top. Interior conversion well planned to keep original features where possible (S1). Former battery to S (and outside) of enclosure.
2008: monitoring of footing in advance of the construction of an external staircase revealed the stone foundation of the tower and a brick built feature that is probably a service conduit. Made ground deposits that relate to the low mound that the tower stands on (S3).
Rectangular enclosure surrounding tower shown on 1880s OS map appears to survive as mixture of ditches and banks. Some of boundary stones also exist (August 2009, S4).
Also 'Old battery' marked on 1880s map may survive as building named 'The Battery'. Both included in HER site (though outside Scheduled area).
- <M1> SSF40980 (No record type): APs: SAU ALO 3 & 4; RAF 1953, 58/1007 No. 0053.
- <R1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM34SE6.
- <S1> SSF5242 Unpublished document: Department of the Environment. Scheduling information.
- <S2> SSF18894 (No record type): SAU, APs ALO 3 & 4.
- <M2> SSF40981 (No record type): SAM file:.
- <S3> SSF52930 Unpublished document: Sommers, M.. 2009. Archaeological Monitoring Report: Martello Tower AA, Shingle Street, Bawdsey.
- <S4> SSF50153 Bibliographic reference: Email. Burwood A, to Pendleton C (SCCAS), 3 Sept 2009.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Record last edited
Mar 25 2011 5:55PM