Monument record BAW 009 - Martello Tower Y (No.4), Bawdsey Beach
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 3585 4106 (50m by 50m)|
|Civil Parish||BAWDSEY, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Martello tower (number 4), built AD 1809-1810 and immediately garrisoned as a sea defence post. By 1812 not permanently manned. Just off the beach behind a dyke. Condition good (S1).
2001: converted for domestic use - plans etc in (S1).
- <M1> SSF40982 (No record type): SAM file:.
- <R1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM34SE4.
- <S1> SSF5224 Unpublished document: DOE scheduling information.
- <M2> SSF40983 (No record type): AP: RAF 1953, 58/1007 No. 0055.
- <S3> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- <S4> SSF60065 Bibliographic reference: Sutcliffe, S. 1972. Martello towers.
- <S5> SSF54491 Unpublished document: Millward J. 2007. An Assessment of the East Coast Martello Towers.
- <S6> SSF59830 Source Unchecked: RCHME?. Various. Field Investigators Comments. F1 RD 18-NOV-81.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Aug 20 2021 10:04AM