Monument record RMS 003 - A possible Later Prehistoric or Roman enclosure and undated field boundaries, Ramsholt parish
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 310 419 (180m by 179m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||RAMSHOLT, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (5)
Cropmarks of tracks, ditches, patches and double ditched rectilinear enclosure 300 yards East of church (S1)(S2)(S3)(S4). Enclosure and field system on different alignments.
Three sides of a possible Later Prehistoric or Roman double-ditched rectilinear enclosure, centred on TM 31084195, are visible on the photographs examined above. The enclosure has a possible entrance in its north-west side at TM 31114197. The function of the enclosure is unclear and the pits that are visible are probably natural. A number of roughly parallel curvilinear ditched features can be seen running north to south across the site, including the enclosure. Two of these features appear to have been recut on a slightly different alignment at some point. These features are probably field boundaries. They appear to be unrelated to the enclosure, are on a different alignment and are of unknown date. Another linear feature, possibly a pit alignment can be seen running roughly east to west, cutting the north-west side of the enclosure. The function and date of this feature is unknown but it does not appear to be related to the enclosure. (S5)
- <S1> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. CUCAP (ASK14) 03-JUL-1967.
- <M1> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. APs: CUCAP, ASK 14 & 18; BXH 85, CJG 8.
- <S2> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. CUCAP (ASK18) 03-JUL-1967.
- <S3> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. CUCAP (BXH85) 16-JUN-1976.
- <S4> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. CUCAP (CJG8) 10-JUL-1979.
- <S5> SXS50100 Verbal communication: Newsome, S.. 2001 -. Suffolk Coastal NMP Project. Sarah Newsome 2001.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Apr 13 2021 6:41PM