Monument record RMS 002 - Undated ditched trackway and possible field system, Ramsholt parish (Un)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 30561 42349 (422m by 490m)|
|Civil Parish||RAMSHOLT, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Cropmarks over whole field abutting NW corner of church. Trackways, ditches, dark patches.
1985: One sherd ?hand-made, very abraded pottery, found by (see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s)
Also Neo, IA & Sax, Rom (CRN 12122) & Un. (S1)(S2)(S3)(S4)(S5)
An undated ditched trackway and possible ditched field system, centred on (see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s), can be seen as cropmarks on the photograph mentioned above. The trackway runs roughly north to south from (see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s) and it appears that it may have been recut at some point. The trackway appears to continue the line of a modern trackway to the north and heads towards the church at Ramsholt in the south. It is not clear whether these features are related and the trackway is undated. There are also an number of linear features in the field, some of which appear to be cutting the trackway. These may be partial cropmarks of ditched field systems or possible Post Medieval field drains. The date of these features is unknown. NB The finds mentioned above may not be related to the features visible as cropmarks. (S6)
- <S1> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. CUCAP (ADK6) ??-??-196?.
- <M1> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. APs: CUCAP ASK 17, ADK 6; SAU AJA 7-11.
- <S2> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. CUCAP (ASK17) ??-??-1967.
- <S3> SSF50071 Photograph: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Air Photograph. NMR TM 3042/1 (SFU 11555/7) 19-JUN-1978 (AJA 7-11).
- <S4> SSF50071 Photograph: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Air Photograph. NMR TM 3042/2 (SFU 11555/8) 19-JUN-1978.
- <S5> SSF50071 Photograph: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Air Photograph. NMR TM 3042/4 (SFU 11555/10) 19-JUN-1978.
- <S6> SXS50100 Verbal communication: Newsome, S.. 2001 -. Suffolk Coastal NMP Project. Sarah Newsome 2002.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (3)
- Related to: 1985: Abraded sherd, probably Ipswich ware, also foot of an ESax brooch, probably small-long type, found metal detecting. (Sax) (Monument) (RMS 002)
- Related to: Bronze mount with central iron corrosion, four curvilinear projections (2 broken) with probable enamel settings. (IA) (Find Spot) (RMS 002)
- Related to: Neo potsherd found in field NW of church. (Neo) (Monument) (RMS 002)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Feb 18 2009 4:27PM