Monument record BNH 018 - Barnham Number 1 pit (IA)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 8864 8015 (50m by 50m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||BARNHAM, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
This site is situated in the loop of the Little Ouse river on Barnham Heath and was excavated by Basil Brown at the time he was recovering Pal and Neo artefacts from Allen Newport Limited's gravel pit (BNH 002). It lies to the NE of the original pit area of 1946-1948 but was totally destroyed when the pit was reopened and extended in 1952-1953. The finds came to light during trials by Newports to find new gravel areas and Basil worked in the trial holes. His reports are sketchy but "huts with central hearths" with black earth and traces of post holes are noted together with sherds of coarse pottery and one sherd of Belgic ware. Mr Rose, Badwell Ash, is reported as having a loom weight from the site but it is not clear if this is partial or complete (S1)(S2)(S3)(S4). Details of three vessels, & drawings in (S5).
Rom and possibly Sax pottery also at site.
- <S1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Brown B, map 1; VIII, 122, 123, 125, 128; X, 128; LXX, 75, 110; LXXI, 5, 19, 20; XCI, 61; XCVIII, 10.
- <M1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Basil Brown archive : map, volumes, card index.
- <S2> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL88SE2.
- <S3> SSF50070 Museum Record Card: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, cards 1946-137, 1948-266, 268.
- <S4> SSF19379 (No record type): SAU, Martin E A, SMR card,.
- <S5> SSF977 (No record type): Balkwill C J, A catalogue of IA pottery groups at Ipswich Museum (to 1980) c. 1980, ill.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jan 15 2010 1:34PM