Monument record ETT 011 - Windmill

Please read our .

Summary

Post-medieval post mill

Location

Grid reference TM 047 465 (point)
Map sheet TM04NW
Civil Parish ELMSETT, BABERGH, SUFFOLK

Map

Type and Period (1)

Full Description

Large post mill with a single storey roundhouse, pulled down in 1930. There were four patent sails, twopairs of stones, and a tailpole for winding. The roundhouse walls remain and have been built into a maodern power mill (S1). Visible on the 1st edition OS map (S2) it was built in c.1830 and was called Ladbrook's Mill (S3).

Sources/Archives (5)

  • <S1> Bibliographic reference: Dolman, P. 1978. Windmills in Suffolk: a contemporary survey.
  • <S2> Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition.
  • <S3> Unpublished document: Flint,B.. 1979. Suffolk Windmills.
  • <S4> Index: Historic England. Related Archives/Objects from NRHE. BF004813.
  • <S5> Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.

Finds (0)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

Record last edited

Apr 12 2021 2:46PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.