Building record FEX 077 - Walton Mill

Please read our .


Post-medieval smock mill


Grid reference Centred TM 290 358 (5m by 5m)
Map sheet TM23NE


Type and Period (2)

Full Description

Four storey smock mill with a two storey brick base. It was dismantled in the early 20th century and the empty tower was left derelict. There were four patent sails, a boat-shaped cap with fantail and two pairs of stones (S1). Earliest mapping of the windmill dates to 1806 (S2) and it is visible on the 1st edition OS map (S3).

Sources/Archives (5)

  • <S1> Bibliographic reference: Dolman, P. 1978. Windmills in Suffolk: a contemporary survey.
  • <S2> Unpublished document: Flint, B.. 1979. Suffolk Windmills.
  • <S3> Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition.
  • <S4> Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
  • <S5> Index: National Record of Industrial Monuments. NRI01.

Finds (0)

Protected Status/Designation

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

Record last edited

Jun 28 2021 3:26PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.