Monument record FSM 021 - Roman features at Hollow Road Farm, Fornham St Martin
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 864 663 (22m by 30m)|
|Civil Parish||FORNHAM ST MARTIN, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
2011: The evaluation phase of the project identified two north-south aligned ditches and a single pit. The strip and map directly followed the evaluation and involved the mechanical excavation of the barns footprint (approximately 30m by 50m). The strip and map identified a collection of archaeological features concentrated towards the east end of the site. The majority of the features appeared to respect one of the north-south boundary ditches (0012) observed during the evaluation. Other features comprised several fairly large pits, three ditches and a large quarry pit. Roman pottery recovered from the site mostly consisted of long-lived wares which originate from between the 2nd and 4th century with a couple of residual prehistoric sherds also being found. The evidence suggests that the site represents relatively low status rural activity during the Roman period, and that archaeological evidence is likely to be present towards the east and north-east of the development area which may include more conclusive occupation evidence (S1).
- <S1> SSF56023 Unpublished document: Beverton, A, V. Archaeological Evaluation and Strip and Map Report: Hollow Road Farm, Fornham St Martin.
- FSF39930: POTTERY (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF39931: TEGULA (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF39932: TILE (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF39933: QUERN (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF39934: LITHIC IMPLEMENT (Later Prehistoric - 4000 BC to 42 AD)
- FSF39935: COIN (Roman - 286 AD to 293 AD)
- FSF39936: COIN (Roman - 43 AD to 138 AD)
- FSF39937: ARMLET (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF39938: ARMLET (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF39939: QUERN (Undated)
- FSF39940: ANIMAL REMAINS (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF39941: PLANT REMAINS (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Feb 25 2016 11:58AM