Farmstead record HSK 034 - Farmstead: Willow Farm
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 242 498 (122m by 93m)|
|Civil Parish||HASKETON, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (5)
Willow Farm is a farmstaed visible on the 1st Ed Os map. The farmstead is laid out in loose courtyard plan with additional detached elements. The farmhouse is detached and set away from the yard. The farmstead sits alongside a private track in an isolated location. There has been a significant loss of working buildings with moder sheds on site. (S2-5)
2007: Historic building recording of the barn at Willow Farm ahead of demolition and building of a new storage building on the site. The barn is a timber-framed and weatherboarded structure of three bays that dates from the late 16th or early 17th century. The oak frame is substantially intact with the exception of its roof which was replaced in the 19th century and is now covered with corrugated iron. An 18th century porch projects to the south but the barn originally faced north. Lean-to structures of the late-19th and 20th centuries are attached to all but the eastern elevation; these are understood to have contained a stable and milk shed in the mid-20th century but now serve as machine and tool stores. The barn lies in the centre of a group of 20th century farm buildings comprising a disused brick cattle shed and Dutch barn to the south, a modern cattle shed and yard to the north and a group of machinary sheds to the west. The farmhouse lies to the west of the Dutch barn which is a recent conversion or reconstruction of an older granary. The previous farmhouse lay to the east of the Dutch barn and has been demolished (S1).
- <S1> SSF58386 Unpublished document: Alston, L.. 2007. Archaeological Record, The Barn, Willow Farm, Hasketon, Suffolk.
- <S2> SSZ54999 Vertical Aerial Photograph: various. Google Earth.
- <S3> SXS50094 Map: Ordnance Survey. c 1904. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 2nd edition. 25".
- <S4> SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition.
- <S5> SSF59079 Unpublished document: Campbell, G., and McSorley, G. 2019. SCCAS: Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Apr 15 2021 11:04AM