Monument record HXN 044 - Cross Street, Hoxne
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 187 761 (88m by 51m)|
|Civil Parish||HOXNE, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (8)
2009: Evaluation revealed two pits containing a significant amount of highly vitrified smithing waste, a large feature, interpreted as a pond, which contained medieval pottery. Three ditches and three further pits contained pottery dated to 12th-13th century. This could indicate medieval backyard activity, with boundary ditches and shallow pits which may be shallow clay quarries. 11 further ditches, 3 further pits and two possible post-holes were undated. Environmental samples from the prior evaluation indicated a significant amount of cereal processing, domestic burning and a small amount of smithing in this period.
Excavation following the Evaluation revealed 29 discrete features and 40 larger more complex features. Two groups of post-holes appeared to relate to each other. A series of medieval drainage ditches and gullies, some of which appear to be aligned parallel or perpendicular to Wittons Lane and there appeared to be three sub-phases to the development of these plots. Phase 1 consisted of features containing exclusively 11th-12th century. The second phase consited of features containing mixed dating which indicated that the had been filled up on the 12th-14th centuries. The third phase was formed of two large ditches contained 12th-14th century and a hoard of silver tudor coins (S1).
Descriptions of two of the three flint flakes are broad, dating to a specific period bracket is ill-advised. However, they may be later Prehistoric, based on details of discovery, (S2).
- <S1> SSF57896 Unpublished document: Crawley, P.. 2010. An Archaeological Excavation at Cross Street, Hoxne, Suffolk: Assessment Report and Updated Project Design.
- <S2> SSF59348 Personal Correspondence: Cutler, Hannah. 2019. Personal Observations as part of the Enhancement of the Suffolk HER for the Palaeolithic & Mesolithic Periods project.
- FSF45236: POTTERY (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2351 BC)
- FSF45238: POTTERY (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF45239: POTTERY EARLY MEDIEVAL (IPS: Early Medieval to 12th century - 1001 AD to 1199 AD)
- FSF45240: POTTERY HOLLESLEY (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FSF45241: POTTERY (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FSF45242: POTTERY (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- FSF45243: TILE (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF45244: ROOF TILE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FSF45245: CLAY PIPE (SMOKING) (17th century to 20th century - 1600 AD to 1999 AD)
- FSF45246: FIRED CLAY (Medieval - 1066 AD? to 1539 AD?)
- FSF45247: QUERN (Medieval - 1066 AD? to 1539 AD?)
- FSF45248: BROOCH (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF45249: DRILL BIT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF45250: CAME (Medieval - 1066 AD? to 1539 AD?)
- FSF45251: BUCKLE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FSF45252: STRAP FITTING (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FSF45253: KNIFE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- FSF45254: COIN (16th century - 1553 AD to 1558 AD)
- FSF45255: COIN (16th century - 1560 AD to 1568 AD)
- FSF45256: METAL WORKING DEBRIS (Medieval - 1066 AD? to 1539 AD?)
- FSF45257: FLAKE (Prehistoric - 1000000 BC? to 42 AD?)
- FSF45258: BUTCHERED ANIMAL REMAINS (Undated)
- FSF45259: CEREAL GRAIN (Undated)
- FSF50480: FLAKE (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2351 BC)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Feb 28 2020 2:39PM