Monument record ISL 006 - St Lawrence Mill
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 378 839 (48m by 50m)|
|Civil Parish||ST LAWRENCE, ILKETSHALL, WAVENEY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Windmill and associated buildings, St Lawrence Mill Corn visible on the 1st edition OS map 1880's (S1) but marked as disused on 1927 OS map. Small four-storey tower mill, built in 1812. It ceased work before 1914 and was dismantled in 1929. The shell of the tower stands disused. There were four double shuttered spring sails, a boat-shaped cap with fantail, and probably two pairs of stones (S2).
- <S1> SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition.
- <S2> SSF50128 Bibliographic reference: Dolman, P. 1978. Windmills in Suffolk: a contemporary survey.
- <S3> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- <S4> SSF56643 Index: National Record of Industrial Monuments. Recorded by MJ Brnard, 21-May-1972, Record No.268434.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Sep 20 2021 4:47PM