Monument record FEX 030 - Roman shore fort, unamed, lost over the cliff edge by 1766. (Rom)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 3225 3580 (50m by 50m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||FELIXSTOWE, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Walton `Castle' - shore fort, unnamed, fallen over cliff edge by 1766. For account of 1788 see (S4). For history of documentation and early illustrations see (S6).
Coin dies found C19.
For copy of Sheppard's drawing of 1623, said to be of Walton Castle and a drawing of the ruins of 1700, see (S5).
Letter of 1722 describes "... the ruins of a Roman wall situated on the ridge of cliff.... Tis 100 yards long, five foot above ground 12 broad at each end and turned with an angle. Its composed of pebble and Roman bricks in three courses, all round footsteps of buildings, and several large pieces of wall cast down upon the Strand by Seas, undermining ye cliff all which have Roman brick. At low water mark very much of the like is visible at some distance in the sea. There are two entire pillars with balls, the cliff is 100 foot high." (S5)(R1).
Described by Kirby in about 1740, as "being now one hundred and eighty-seven yards in length, and nine feet thick". Kirby also mentions "the great variety of Roman urns, rings, coins etc, that have been found there" (S5)(R2). For details of illustrations and accounts of ruins, and of finds see (S5).
Circa 1838: `Stone works ROMAN REMAINS' shown on OS 1st edition map (S1).
1950s: Masonry blocks seen at low tide. Still visible at very low tides, some distance out, photographed (S2).
1970s: Site worked on by Stuart Bacon of Suffolk Underwater Studies Group. Visibility now too poor (S3). No further details.
July 1974: Pieces of what could be masonary can be seen in the sea on aerial photographs, presumably at low tide. (S7) (S8).
Also Med castle, LSax monastery ?
- <R1> SSF10327 (No record type): Knight, .. Knight Dr, Soc of Antiquaries, Minute Book, 28 November 1722.
- <S1> SSF15165 (No record type): OS, first edition one inch map, 1838.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: (colour prints, S2).
- <R2> SSF10313 (No record type): Kirby, J.. Kirby Suffolk Traveller, 1754 & 1829, 99.
- <S2> SSF16438 (No record type): Plouviez J, SAU, 1994.
- <S3> SSF936 (No record type): Bacon S, May 1994.
- <S4> SSF221 (No record type): An Antiquary, `Account of Roman Castle Bawdsey', Gentleman's Magazine, December 26, 1788, 1154-5.
- <S5> SSF54455 Bibliographic reference: 1911. VCH Suffolk 1. 288-291 & 305-307, ill.
- <S6> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM33NW2.
- <S7> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM3235/1, 4-6 (727/091-094) 22-JUL-1974.
- <S8> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM3235/2 (727/95-98) 22-JUL-1974.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jul 17 2013 2:16PM