Monument record MDS 140 - Windmill
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||TM 101 657 (point)|
|Civil Parish||MENDLESHAM, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Kent's mill. Post mill with two-storey roundhouse. Pulled down in 1913, the roundhouse remains as a store. There were four patent sails, a fantail , and three pairs of stones, two in the head and one in the tail. The buck was tarred and the sails were painted red (S1). Earliest cartographic evidence is 1824 (S2). Visible on the 1st edition OS map c.1880 (S3)
- <S1> SSF50128 Bibliographic reference: Dolman, P. 1978. Windmills in Suffolk: a contemporary survey.
- <S2> SSF6481 Unpublished document: Flint,B.. 1979. Suffolk Windmills.
- <S3> SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition.
- <S4> SSF56643 Index: National Record of Industrial Monuments.
- <S5> SSF59942 Index: Historic England. Related Archives/Objects from NRHE. NRI01.
- <S6> SSF59942 Index: Historic England. Related Archives/Objects from NRHE. BF004920.
- <S7> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Jun 16 2021 12:08PM