Monument record FEX 061 - Martello Tower U, at Felixstowe Ferry (No 6)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 3284 3732 (51m by 50m)|
|Civil Parish||FELIXSTOWE, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Scheduled Monumet - Martello Tower (No 6) - built 1810-1812.
1981: Whole building is in almost derelict condition. Outside large pitted holes and cracks in rendering & brick work. Interior (reached by precarious ladder) is in an appalling state. Wooden floors rotting with wet seeping through ceilings, full of pigeon droppings. Roof covered in 2 ft high weeds. Building needs urgent attention. Property currently for sale (S1).
For (early 20th century?) photogrph see (S2).
(S2) SCC Database file, T/arc/Colin/martellos
- <M1> SSF37160 (No record type): SAM file:.
- <R1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM33NW35.
- <S1> SSF5242 Unpublished document: Department of the Environment. Scheduling information.
- <S2> SSF54491 Unpublished document: Millward J. 2007. An Assessment of the East Coast Martello Towers.
- <S3> SSF60065 Bibliographic reference: Sutcliffe, S. 1972. Martello towers.
- <S4> SXS50145 Unpublished document: Department of the Environment. 1984. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. MHLG (Prov HHR) Felixstowe Suffolk July 1947 2.
- <S5> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Record last edited
Aug 10 2021 4:56PM